It is our greatest desire to share the love and grace of Jesus Christ with all who visit our church. This section is meant to answer some commonly asked questions you may have about visiting us for the first time. For example:
How do I get to the church?
What is the church service like?
Is there a nursery provided for my children?
What should I wear?
We desire that everyone feel welcome, so if you have any other questions not answered here, please don't hesitate to call or email us for more information.
What version of the Bible do you use, and what if I don’t have one?
Don’t worry if you do not have a Bible on hand for our service, as all of the words to be read aloud as well as the sermon passage are printed in your church bulletin. As far as versions go, our members use a variety of translations including, among others, the English Standard Version (ESV), New International Version (NIV), and New King James Version (NKJV), with the English Standard version being used in most corporate readings. Some find one version easier to read than others, and if you are looking to get a new Bible feel free to ask the Elders or the Deacon for a recommendation.
Will I be asked to join?
Joining a church is a commitment resulting from Christ’s call upon your heart, and it is His will that determines when and where this should happen. Therefore we do not pressure or hurry people in this decision. For those who may be interested in joining, we periodically offer an inquirers class so you can be fully educated on who we are as a church before you make this commitment.
Will people accept me?
As followers of Christ we understand that none of us are perfect, and that we are called to love people as they are. After just a little time with us, we hope you’ll see that we are people just like you and that you will feel welcome with us.
Will I have to stand up and/or will I be singled out during the service?
We assure you that you will not be embarrassed or have attention called to you as a new visitor. Our goal is to make you feel comfortable so you can enjoy the worship service to the fullest. However don’t be surprised if many people approach during fellowship time or after the service to welcome you.
What should I wear?
There is no specific dress code at our church. You will find a wide variety of styles of dress within our congregation, with some members dressing more casually than others (we are in Florida after all). In any case, you will be welcomed with open arms no matter what you are wearing.
What is the church service like?
Our church service is a joyful time of worship and praise to the Lord, including singing, prayer, responsive readings and a sermon. Bulletins are available in the back of the church and include all words to songs, scripture, and passages to be read aloud by the congregation. The service generally has the following sections:
- Prelude: The pianist will begin to play during this time to let everyone know the service will begin shortly and to allow time for silent preparation before Worship.
- Call to Worship: The congregation hears or reads a brief Call to Worship to begin the service.
- Congregational Singing: We sing a mixture of traditional and contemporary songs of praise and thanksgiving to the Lord.
- Corporate Confession of Sin: The congregation reads and prays together a corporate confession of sin and prayer for God’s forgiveness.
- Assurance of Pardon: A passage is read confirming God’s assurance of salvation.
- Affirmation of Faith: We read together a statement of our faith in Jesus Christ.
- Scripture Reading: The congregations stands as God’s word is read aloud.
- Giving of our Tithes and Offerings: We gather our tithes and offerings from the congregation. (You are of course welcome to participate as your heart leads you to give, however please note that as a visitor we do not expect you to make an offering at this time.)
- Doxology: We sing our thanks to God for his providence and pray that He will bless our offerings.
- Sermon: Instruction and encouragement are provided through a Biblically based exposition of God’s word.
- Benediction: The Benediction is read to conclude the worship service.
- Announcements: Prior to dismissal we take a few moments to make announcements and share updates on upcoming church activities.
What Sunday School options are there?
We usually offer a Sunday School option for adults as well as classes for the youth. Please ask a church member for assistance in finding the best class for you or your children.
Do you have a nursery?
We provide a staffed nursery during Sunday School and the Worship Service for ages 4 and under. Any church member will be happy to guide you there.
What are the worship times on Sunday?
09:30 a.m. – Sunday School * 10:30 a.m. – Fellowship Time 11:00 a.m. – Worship Service * * Nursery Provided
Where do I park?
Feel free to park anywhere in the grassy area near the main building. Handicapped spots are available directly in front of the church.
Where is Cornerstone located?
Cornerstone Presbyterian is located at 17520 Marsh Road in Lutz, FL. You can reach us from either Lakeshore Road or Marsh Road on the south side of Van Dyke Boulevard. Our church property is located directly across the street from St. Timothy’s Catholic Church, and the main building is light blue and closer to Marsh Road. For a map and driving directions, please click here.